Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Teacher of the Year!!

It's truly hard for me to do a whole blog post about MYSELF, but this Saturday, I won the Elementary Teacher of the Year for Douglas County!! So, while I definitely don't wanna toot my own horn, I do want to document it for my girls, and I want to remember this awesome experience. I learned that I had won Teacher of the Year for Beulah last year. That, in itself, was a major honor, particularly since I work with such amazing educators on a daily basis:
Then, last month (on a day that I looked like absolute death-warmed-over) the superintendent delivered flowers and a balloon to my classroom to let me know that I had been chosen as a semifinalist! I then had to be observed and interviewed by a panel of 23 "judges." It was very overwhelming and stressful at times, but so rewarding and exciting! Last week, the Teachers of the Year were recognized at the Courthouse for "Heroes Day." It was such a nice and humbling experience.
 
 My biggest "supporters" were cheering me on!! :)
 (Clairy was supporting from her dreams....)
Last Friday night, the county held a PHENOMENAL reception at the Foxhall Resort. Great food, good times, and great people!!
 Me, with my awesome principal, Sheila, along with my hottie former coworkers, Linsey and Shana (Linsey was the overall Teacher of the Year for the entire county last year!!)
 Look who it is!! This is Jennifer Walters, someone I've known for almost 20 years, but haven't seen in over a decade!! Jennifer was one of the judges who observed me and served on the interview panel, but thankfully, I didn't know this until reception night (I was already nervous enough, and would've been even more nervous with a familiar face!!) So great to see her!!
 My beautiful assistant principal, Cher!!
 Nora was working the crowd!! :)
 Grandmommie and Paw-Paw were checking out all of the TOTY posters.....
 And when I went to have a photo-op with my TOTY poster, somebody totally photo-bombed it!!!
 Here was some of the amazing gifts we received!! Tons of prizes and gift cards. So very NICE!!!!!
 Our gorgeous "recognition" area:
 My sweet family sat in the blistering heat to watch the little ceremony.
 Dr. Pritz, the superintendent, announcing the teachers.
 Since they always lined up the teachers alphabetically by school, I was lucky enough to get to sit by Mrs. Dutcher, Bill Arp's TOTY. Lea has worked with Mrs. Dutcher for several years to help out with special needs program. :)
The following day, the Teachers of the Year were recognized one final time at the Foxhall Family Festival (which deserves a blog all to itself.....the girls had a BLAST!!). Grandmama came with us while I worked the Beulah booth.
Finally, it was time to get under "the big tent" for the big reveal:
Here's a little clip of the Dr. Pritz announcing your's truly:
Such a wonderful honor and memory that I will never forget!!
Josh has been calling me his HOTTIE TOTY, but unfortunately, after working in the ridiculous HEAT for over an hour (in October.....come ON!!), I was more like: "Stinky, sweaty TOTY." But oh well.....I WAS HAPPY!!
 

This is my 10th year at Beulah. I love it. Period. It's where my heart is. I am blessed to be around adults and kids that make smile on a daily basis. I am so grateful.....there are just no words.

Rock on, Beulah Bees!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment